Important Updates & Information
Provide your details below to stay up to date with Wexford degree programs, certifications and continuing education courses!
M.A. in Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology Description
Sport and fitness psychology is a rapidly growing profession. Many fitness enthusiasts and athletes seek the services of sport psychology experts and mental training coaches who can help them with the mental/psychological aspects of sports competition and fitness training. Mental training skills (focus, relaxation, goal-setting, leadership and reducing anxiety) are critical in separating first from second place in sports competition. More recently, recreational athletes and fitness enthusiasts of all levels are finding mental training beneficial as well.
- The critical role the mind plays in the world of competitive sports has been widely documented. For those students who desire to help athletes perform their best when it matters most, the MA program in Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology at Wexford University is the first step.
- The purpose of the MA program in Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology is for graduate students to be both educated and gain practical experience in the field of sport psychology. Graduates of our programs will have opportunities to work with elite and professional athletes, assist youth and adolescents in performance enhancement design and training, and transfer the skills acquired to the corporate world by engaging in executive coaching.
- The MA degree is designed to prepare graduate students for higher levels of study, such as the EdD program in Sport Psychology.
This degree may also be a terminal degree for some students choosing not to pursue a EdD in Sport Psychology and therefore enter the workforce.
- Upon graduation with an MA in Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology, graduates may choose to apply for certification with the Association of Applied Sport Psychology (AASP).
M.A. Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology Program Objectives:
- The MA in Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology is designed to challenge graduate students to use critical thinking skills to enhance the performance and lives of their surrounding community.
- Through our program, graduate students will gain competency by creating opportunities to assist others while working toward graduation and becoming an applied practitioner in the field of sport psychology.
- It is our goal as faculty to engage in the mentoring of graduate students to facilitate self-awareness, growth and understanding by continuing to develop the necessary skills needed to be successful in an applied setting.
Courses in the Master of Arts Degree in Applied Sport and Fitness Psychology
MA 301A: Intro to Sport Psychology
MA 301B: Intro to Sport Psychology
MA 302: Ethical Issues in Applied Sport Psychology
MA 303: Foundations in Precision Communication Skills: Hemispheric Integration with Neurolinguistics (NLP)
MA 304: Cognitive & Affective Behavior
MA 305: Foundations in Precision Communication Skills – Level 2
MA 306: Intro to Applied Sport Psychology
MA 307: Applied Mental Training Techniques
MA 308: Cognitive-Emotional Realignment with The Other Mind’s Eye
MA 309: Advanced Applied Sport Psychology
MA 310: Sport Psychology Coaching Business
MA 311: Principles of Positive Psychology
MA 312: The Role of Culture in Applied Sport Psychology
MA 314: Internship/Practicum in Applied Sport Psychology
NOTE: This degree program is not intended to prepare a student for state or national licensing as a clinical psychologist or mental health professional.